In November 2014 Laura approached me with the idea of creating a gift guide in collaboration with ISSUU.com – a company which specialises in online magazine publication.
Laura wanted to showcase all of her favourite pieces from her Political Style blog whilst also keeping the magazine easy to read and most importantly – interactive so that readers could easily access the products online from the guide.
Laura’s specification for the magazine included the following:
– 12 pages – including front and back page, welcome message and adverts.
– Must be interactive, allowing the reader to easily move through pages and open links to the product’s direct on the client websites.
– Must be compatible with tablets and mobiles.
– Transferable format to allow the magazine to be sent via post or email.
– Must incorporate the PS branding.
– Clear and concise layout to showcase the products effectively.
– Space for text and advertisements.
– Easy access to statistics on the publications performance in terms of: number of readers, pages read etc…
After a meeting over a couple of Starbuck’s Christmas brews we decided on a plan of action and i got to work.
I used Adobe Indesign as my software of choice to produce the guide. Adobe is traditionally used for print design but it also has great interactive functionality such as hyperlinks for both text and images. The document was then saved as an Interactive PDF which allowed the document to be used, not only using ISSUU the online magazine platform of choice for this project but also through email and print (in a non-interactive format). This meant that the magazine was as user-friendly as possible, no-matter the platform the reader was using.
– A reach of 1,336 customers
– A happy Laura!